George A. Dunbar Jr.

October 8, 1925 ~ January 27, 2018 (age 92)

George A. Dunbar, Jr

ESSEX JCT - George A. Dunbar, Jr shed his earthly ties on January 27, 2018 to go to his heavenly home.

Born October 8, 1925 to George and Tressa (Haley) Dunbar of Windsor, VT. He spent his youth in Windsor pursuing his education, his love of music and fishing.  He would fondly recall 8 mile walks to Brownsville with his father, fishing the streams and brooks along the way. George often reminisced of his childhood musical endeavors most fondly recalling his time as a drummer for the Windsor High School Marching Band where he obtained the name "Dubbie" from "dubbing" around during their practices and parades.  George was a key member of the debate team in high school.  He graduated with honors from Windsor High School in 1943. He was proud to be a lifetime member of the "Boiler Room Gang",  a cast of young men who would socialize and congregate in the high school boiler room during and after school; knowing they would soon to be called to our country's service in WWII.

George enlisted in the US Navy September 1943 at the age of 17.  He was assigned to the amphibious forces, training with the SeaBees at two eastern bases before leaving for advanced training at Pearl Harbor via the Panama Canal, a distinction he was proud to highlight.  During his time in Pearl Harbor he was accepted for officers training at the University of Notre Dame .  He returned to the East Coast only to be deployed again through the Panama Canal to the Pacific theater to pilot landing crafts during the invasion of Okinawa, April 1, 1945.  His battle group was cited for their service during this action from which he was awarded his Bronze battle star and Atlantic- Pacific campaign ribbon.  George was honorably discharged from his service on January 6, 1946.

After the war George attended Drake University in Des Moine, Iowa.  While there, he was involved a significant trolley car accident. After he recovered he chose to return to Windsor. Once back home he met the love of his life, Olive (Tootsie) Russell, whom he married on October 26, 1947.  George and Tootsie shared a love for dancing the jitterbug to the big bands and Dixieland whenever a dance floor and opportunity arose.  As their love grew for each other they were blessed with the birth of their beloved daughter, Linda.  George worked at several positions ranging from a plumber's apprentice,  taxi driver, a guard at the Windsor State Prison and a machinist for Cone Automatic.  George was honored to have served as Commander of the Windsor American Legion Post 25 during this time.   

In 1957, George obtained a job as a technician for automated assembly equipment at the newly constructed IBM facility in Essex Junction.  Shortly after the family's move to Burlington they were blessed again with the addition of their son,  George III.   During his career at IBM, George held many human resource and management positions where he applied the IBM belief of respect for the individual daily.  He ultimately achieved the position of third level manufacturing manager in 1972. George retired from IBM in December 1983 after 27 years of service.

George stayed busy filling his spare time with many of the things he enjoyed.

He was affiliated with several local organizations over his life including the Channel 17 board, the Grange and a lifetime member of the VFW.

He and Tootsie shared a love for animals,  rarely being without a 4 legged friend in their house.

George was an avid Boston Red Sox fan. He was elated to have lived long enough to see his team win three World Championships.

Wintertime turned his attention to hockey;  supporting the UVM men's team as a season ticket holder during the Jim Cross era of the 60's & 70's. Much to his family's dismay, he was a loyal Boston Bruins fan.  He had been pleased with their performance this season,  speaking excitedly of their future prospects.  While he did not openly brag, you could sense his satisfaction with the Bruin's victories over the Canadiens the week before his death.

During his working years you would find him in support of children's activities through emceeing dance recitals, coaching Little League baseball in the new North End, coordinated the Burlington Amateur Hockey Assoc. (BAHA) and developed the Midget hockey program for the area.  He volunteered as a counselor for the Junior Achievement program.  When not actively supporting those activities he would find time for his love of boating, fishing, camping at Harvey's Lake in W. Barnet, VT, and duck hunting at Campbell's Bay in Swanton, Vt.

 Upon retiring he was able to spend more time with his grandchildren and added a couple of new interests to his retiree schedule,  golf and local politics.  George was a loving and supportive grandparent often taking the time to drive his grandchildren to school. He would rarely miss their soccer, football, or hockey games nor any school or ice skating performances.  He was happy to witness the creation of the Essex High School girl's hockey team, especially since his granddaughter was a member of the team's debut season.  He enjoyed golfing as a member of Rocky Ridge Golf Course. It was there he was able to satisfy a desire  to cook commercially by proudly catering events at the "Ridge" through the 80's and 90's. ... golf, it seemed, had taken a backseat. Moving to Essex Junction in 1975 he became active in the community. He decided to participate in local politics. He faithfully served as Trustee from 1985 to 1989 and the Village President from 1989 to 2001. He was recognized by the Vermont State Legislature in the House chambers for his dedication and service to the community in  2002.   

George was fortunate to travel to CA to attend his grandson's wedding in October 2011. He was so glad to see the family tree continue to grow with the births of his two great grandsons in 2012 and 2016.   Having the opportunities to hold and play with each of the boys on their return trips to VT were precious treasures he held dearly.

George was predeceased by his wife of 61 years, Tootsie; his parents, and an infant brother, Edward.   His spirit lives on with his family; daughter Linda Ballard of CA, son George III and his wife Judy of Essex Jct., grandson and wife, George IV and Sabrina Dunbar, of CA with their children George V & Gavin and granddaughter Sarah Dunbar of Essex Jct.  He is also survived by two sisters,  Mary Kent of Windsor, VT and Beverly King and husband, Frederick (Jim) of Eliot, Maine.  Uncle "Dubbie"  also leaves behind numerous beloved nieces and nephews and their familes each of whom added greatly to his happiness over the years.

The family would like to thank the Mansfield Place staff,  Essex Rescue and the University Medical Center ER staff for their professionalism and compassion during his final hours.

He was a fortunate man to have so many friends and colleagues whose friendships he cherished over the years.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his honor to Essex Rescue, 1 Educational Drive, Essex Jct. , VT 05452 .

A celebration of his life will occur Saturday February 10 with calling hours from 1-3PM at Corbin & Palmer Funeral Home, 9 Pleasant Street Essex Jct, VT.

The memorial service will be held on Sunday February 11, 1PM at the First Congregational Church, 39 Main Street  Essex Jct , VT

Internment will be in Windsor, VT at a later date of the family's choosing.


© 2018 Corbin and Palmer Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS