Our funeral home is a family owned and operated business.
The Funeral Home was founded in 1894 by John Corbin. The Palmer family has been involved in the business since 1921, when Walter Palmer (then owner and operator of a Grist Mill on the La Platte River) moved his family from Shelburne Falls to Burlington, and bought part of the funeral home. Walter's sons Loren and Raymond "Whitey", took over the business after Walter suffered a severe stroke that left him unable to speak. At that time original founder John Corbin came out of retirement and helped out Loren and "Whitey" at the funeral home for more than a year without pay.
In the early 1960's, Corbin and Palmer opened a second funeral home in Essex Jct., and a third was opened in Loren and "Whitey's" home town of Shelburne in 1997. The funeral home is now owned and operated by "Whitey's" daughter Pamela Palmer Hanley, who works at the funeral home with her two sons Eric and Todd Hanley.